Difference between revisions of "Jubilee General Store"
| Line 12: | Line 12: | ||
The 'Jubilee' General Store was built at 7 Wasleys Road by Mr Ebeneezer Hastwell prior to 1870. | The 'Jubilee' General Store was built at 7 Wasleys Road by Mr Ebeneezer Hastwell prior to 1870. | ||
| − | In 1893 the store was owned and operated as a joint venture by Weddell and Dunstan. | + | In 1893 the store was owned and operated as a joint venture by Weddell and Dunstan. |
| − | Mr A Dunstan became the owner in 1895 and operated the store for 21 years. He took his wares in a horse drawn buggy to the local farms and travelled out of the district as far as Wasley. | + | Mr A Dunstan became the owner in 1895 and operated the store for 21 years. He took his wares in a horse drawn buggy to the local farms and travelled out of the district as far as Wasley. |
| − | The store was sold | + | The store was sold to Woolcock, Worden & Co. in 1914. |
It then became known as 'Wordens Store'. Mr Woolcock continued the visits to the farms and on to Wasleys. | It then became known as 'Wordens Store'. Mr Woolcock continued the visits to the farms and on to Wasleys. | ||
| Line 37: | Line 37: | ||
{{Flickr | {{Flickr | ||
|FlickrID=<flickr>5908945664</flickr> | |FlickrID=<flickr>5908945664</flickr> | ||
| + | }} | ||
| + | {{Flickr | ||
| + | |FlickrID=<flickr>6126364199</flickr> | ||
}} | }} | ||
{{Flickr | {{Flickr | ||
Revision as of 00:26, 13 September 2011
| Type of organisation: | Business |
| Also known as: | Wordens Store, Pyms, Robinsons, Seven Stars Cafe |
| Street number: | 7 |
| Street name: | Wasleys |
| Street suffix: | Road |
| Town or locality: | Mallala |
| Date established: | "{{{Date approximate}}}" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value. The date "c. 1870" was not understood.
|
| Business or purpose: | General Store |
The 'Jubilee' General Store was built at 7 Wasleys Road by Mr Ebeneezer Hastwell prior to 1870.
In 1893 the store was owned and operated as a joint venture by Weddell and Dunstan.
Mr A Dunstan became the owner in 1895 and operated the store for 21 years. He took his wares in a horse drawn buggy to the local farms and travelled out of the district as far as Wasley.
The store was sold to Woolcock, Worden & Co. in 1914.
It then became known as 'Wordens Store'. Mr Woolcock continued the visits to the farms and on to Wasleys.
Mr A. Pym purchased the store from Woolcock, Worden & Co. in c. 1948 and managed it until 1974 when he retired to Adelaide.
Following a quick turnover of several owners, Mrs Robinson closed the store in 2001.
After several years as a private home, the shop reopened as the Seven Stars Cafe. This venture only operated for a short time before closing, and the building is again a private home.
Related Articles
External Links
Sources
- Mallala Museum research Notes - Mallala Businesses
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Flickr Error ( Not a valid ID ): PhotoID not numeric
Print
Subscribe by RSS
